General Feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Feedback

Almost everything so far about this game has been good except some really minor quirks:

1.)Why in the world does this game require you to login and launch from a website instead of straight from the patcher? Even if there's some logical reason from the developers debating security the fact you install a plugin and everything is absolutely not secure. Not only that it confuses people and causes so many problems for anyone new trying to play the game especially if you use Firefox and not IE or Chrome.

2.)Stats in this game are just a little confusing and vaque. Biggest example is Attack Power versus Weapon Power with how they interact between each other and then where it gets applied into a damage formula. Then there seems to be some very odd mechanic in gear with Depth and Battle Power/Survivability or something that makes what you would think is worse gear with worse passive stats actually better. It's just really confusing without no means or explanation on how to properly gear for maximum damage and knowing when to upgrade for raw stats.

3.)Luckily the base hotkey layout isn't so bad that the game isn't playable but always nice to maybe get some customization here. You have to consider keybinds for other things like Discord/Vent/Mumble and really annoying when almost everything is bound to an emote that makes you stop every time in game using push to talk. Not only that there are physically disabled people who do benefit from different layouts and ways to play.

4.)The minimap in the top right hand corner is a major pain to anyone playing a ranged character trying to click up there on enemies. It's pretty huge too and something I understand being there for the MOBA aspect of the game, but when you're solo in single player the ability to ping a map is useless and frustrating when you can't disable it.

5.)Following up on the targeting problem there's something goofy with priority on the falling object striking skills to -not- hit the target you want sometimes. You'll notice this a lot more with Ara when using Anchor, Killer Whale, Tentacle that they often will just randomly select a mob you absolutely do not want to hit, or sometimes even just go off completely hitting nothing. Usually this is a line of sight problem but happens even when in open space which seems that there's a lot of invisible pixel boundry lines to be found using Monster Tube when bouncing off nothing.

6.)There should be a base item shop with gray items in it. No, I have not done it but there's always that one person who will disenchant their gear by accident. It's also a bit depressing being able to go a ton of levels without upgrades too. Which leads into #2 where for what ever reason the level on gear seems to matter a lot for attack/defense rather than any other stat at times.

7.)The party system needs a little work in regards to not having to re-invite people after every mission.

So far it's still closed beta and I do have concerns given the marketing PR I see coming from the official sources. The last thing I want to see though is a typical bait and switch which these Korean games have been doing from beta to release. All the silly "stamina" or limited runs things that is absolutely cancerous in an attempt to make more money while limiting gameplay. As for cosmetics and bonuses for the cash shop they don't bother me at all as I like being able to support things and get something back as long as it's not game breaking. So far nothing seems to be absolutely obscene since every costume item has only had like +5-15 defense or attack and 2% to skill damage which isn't that much but something if you are a min/max type person.

Things I really like:

1.) Fast paced combat with responsive controls.

2.) Customization on gear giving an extra element for builds.

3.) Sidekicks to call in as assists like Marvel vs Capcom

4.) Grinding. There's a lot to actually grind with items, skill levels, sidekick levels, team levels, ect.

5.) Friend heart buff system that encourages community building

Biggest plus is the game is extremely playable despite the few quips above. So kudos there to the devs and team for bringing this to NA.
    Last edited by [CBT1]Ashy; 05-22-2016, 09:31 AM.

So far I've been playing as Ara and this is what I think about the story:

1.)It's linear and has no platonic feel for the current player character you've chosen unless they were relevent to the current story arc. There might have been about couple times she actually was relevent to the story with no mention what so ever what she was doing at the time if anything. It felt like everything just ran its course according to plan by the writer and really no point to even paying attention because most of the time everything had nothing interesting in relationship to your character.

2.)The way missions, pantheons, and reports come together is extremely confusing if you're trying to understand the story as you progress. It doesn't flow correctly in an attempt to pull some Quentin Tarantino plot twisting but just doing a bad job pulling things back into some chronological sense.

3.)I do really like the lax and fourth wall breaking approach which reminds me of Disgaea a lot. It's not meant to be taken too serious, but at least something is there if you really want to delve deep into understanding the story.

4.)Most people are not going to care about the story leading to #3 on this list being good.

I almost feel like marketing the beta to test the story is a real bad idea when majority of people are going to be playing for actual gameplay content. As someone whose experienced with tons of foreign games and bringing a community of people with me we almost feel like this a cover to avoid taking on actual problems which have persisted in the previous Korean release of the game. It's a game that's already been released so the chances of anything changing based upon player's wishes are pretty slim. I really hope there's at least a dedicated staff here who can provide real meaningful changes people want developing a happy community instead of just disgruntled people. AKA - Someone who can code properly.

The plot seems interesting like some sort of Fate/Stay Night type of feel with gods and heroes being pulled into different worlds and times. If only it could just be presented in a way that flowed better then it would be more palatable for someone to take in as a whole if you care to follow.
    Last edited by [CBT1]Ashy; 05-22-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I agree with all of your feedback, except number 1,because it's nice to have a downloadable game that has more interactions with the actual website. The wonky extension thing would need to be fixed though, anyone using FF or IE would be forced to switch to chrome, and that wouldn't feel very good, but other than that, I gotta say I enjoy it. And yeah, not a great idea to put such a big fuss over such a lax story line ><

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora View Post
        I agree with all of your feedback, except number 1,because it's nice to have a downloadable game that has more interactions with the actual website. The wonky extension thing would need to be fixed though, anyone using FF or IE would be forced to switch to chrome, and that wouldn't feel very good, but other than that, I gotta say I enjoy it. And yeah, not a great idea to put such a big fuss over such a lax story line ><
        Some of the basic lore is there on the website which is neat for new people, but should be in the game itself. They usually put most information of changes or events on the patcher itself so there shouldn't be much point in it beyond that other than coming here to socialize on the forums. As someone whose like really OCD about performance it just bothers me needing an extension, then having to open a browser, then the game patcher afterwards. When you look at the whole scope of things somewhere along the lines it leads to insecurity of someone abusing the plugin to potentially retrieve login info or spoofing the Herowarz website to phish people who aren't keen about this stuff. Some people are even less forgiving than me too and won't even touch the game because of something like this and let alone what invasive things Xigncode3 does to your computer like installing itself as a system driver to run every windows start.

Think of it like the appearance of your front house. With the way that installer for this game was buggy and having to launch from a browser that was IE it gave me the initial impression that this game was going to be full of bugs. I almost seriously didn't want to play it because of that and then saw Xigncode3 ontop of that too knowing these things usually only stop amateurs. It might seem silly but you really shouldn't want to drive players away before they even start with a bad first outlook which is huge to grow a healthy player base.

Thanks for the input by the way.
        Last edited by [CBT1]Ashy; 05-22-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora View Post
          I perfer not to visit the site just to launch this game, I'd say it needs a stand-alone client like all the other MMOs. Most of us do not often visit the site or forums, just here to play the game only.

Comment

So, maybe I'm in the minority on this one x.x It's just, considering the majority of people playing games like elsword never visit the site, and often miss out on news and big events because of that (leading up to them asking questions on forums, and other forumers getting unjustly angry at them), it would be nice to have some kind of communication between the game and the website. I understand both of your points though

Comment

Going to mention something that I think really needs tweaking here in RNG on gear. I really do like the extra buff aspects on gear and that you have to grind out perfect gear, but there comes a point when so much RNG is actually detrimental to progression. There was like maybe 1 or 5 weapons in over 100 levels that I actually would use effectively and even then I was luckily to have rolled them in the first place. There were times this actually made the content harder than it needed to be over just simply not having a means to aquire the gear needed to progress. If there was a system where I could either transfer the extra skills over to a different piece of gear or at least aquire a basic piece of gear that is acceptable to use that would be nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00001.png
Views:	1
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	758

This is an example here of RNG on weapons which is even more wild than the side skills. The fact you have to RNG a drop or roll a card for even more RNG on the thing having the right weapon power, speed, ect. is so obscene it takes too long to find something you want to use unless you're lucky. In a game where you can't even go back to re-run the story missions this is a huge problem if you get to player training and aren't equipped to take it on. There needs to be a serious solution here like a vendor, or crafting system, and maybe a way to socket out those skills into different things if even you have to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashy View Post
                This is an example here of RNG on weapons which is even more wild than the side skills. The fact you have to RNG a drop or roll a card for even more RNG on the thing having the right weapon power, speed, ect. is so obscene it takes too long to find something you want to use unless you're lucky. In a game where you can't even go back to re-run the story missions this is a huge problem if you get to player training and aren't equipped to take it on. There needs to be a serious solution here like a vendor, or crafting system, and maybe a way to socket out those skills into different things if even you have to pay for it.
                I was wondering about that myself, I need to add it to my feedback.

The way I understood it, the four stats (Weapon Power, Weapon Speed, Mana Speed, Cooldown Speed) are all on the same range. That is to say, if you add up all 4, you get 100%, so a balanced weapon would have 25% in each. So in your image, the Premium Grape Drink would have something like 25% WP, 15% WS, 10% MS, and 50% CS, while the Rare Grape Drink would have 30% WP, 50% WS, 10% MS, 10% CS. Basically, this means you'll never get an item with high stats in all four areas, but a spread amongst them. You can also pick a specific stat to prioritize, and only use weapons that lean on that stat (only use weapons with 40% WP, for example).

Of course, that doesn't change the problem of the RNG, especially since you can't re-roll, like you mentioned. It is complicated that we have so many variables on every piece of gear. Even if we're lucky enough to get the right gear piece at the right rarity to drop, not only is the spread randomized, but the base power (depth maybe?), the stat skills, and the extra skills are also all rolled. Finding a "perfect" gear piece is downright impossible at the moment.

I -think- this will change in the main game, because I'm pretty sure we'll be able to re-run story missions and also craft/synthesize our weapons, which will probably allow us to customize them somehow. But it's good feedback to have for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd13z View Post
                  The way I understood it, the four stats (Weapon Power, Weapon Speed, Mana Speed, Cooldown Speed) are all on the same range. That is to say, if you add up all 4, you get 100%, so a balanced weapon would have 25% in each. So in your image, the Premium Grape Drink would have something like 25% WP, 15% WS, 10% MS, and 50% CS, while the Rare Grape Drink would have 30% WP, 50% WS, 10% MS, 10% CS. Basically, this means you'll never get an item with high stats in all four areas, but a spread amongst them. You can also pick a specific stat to prioritize, and only use weapons that lean on that stat (only use weapons with 40% WP, for example).
                  I don't think this is the exact case and would test this if I could still. I remember having certain weapons which appeared to have the same bar scaling but gave some stats differently usually within the almost balanced weapons prolly from blue passive bonuses. The last weapon I ended with had extremely low weapon power but high in all three stats shown here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00005.png
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	769

There could be "stat weight" on rolls with certain things being weighted more on the balance you mentioned. That's why it would be nice to get some mechanics explained instead of the typical make everything a mystery until you test it thing foreign games are known to do.
                  Last edited by [CBT1]Ashy; 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Comment

No problem I look forward to testing and playing in the future again!

Comment

Working...
                      X