Some Feedback from Suteki

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Feedback from Suteki

So, after playing the CBT a bit, I do have some feedback to give.

Playable Character Development

I played through the tutorial as all characters, but only stuck to Nagne for the main game. I'd have personally liked a lower max threshold for titles (like lv50 or something) but with milestones at 2 and 3+ characters at lv50 to encourage people to actually play more than one character and fully experience their differences. For players like me who didn't research the game at all before CBT, I just picked a char based on aesthetics and got lucky that I liked his playstyle. Unless I absolutely hated how he played though, I'd have stuck with him regardless and might not have known if one of the other four is really my favorite.

But, back to Nagne. His skill progression is alright, and he's been able to handle himself fairly well. His up-close fighting style isn't a problem since he still has a few skills to escape major harm, either by running away or by launching himself into the air.

Of what bit I did play of the others, my only complaint is that when trying to use Audrey or Ara and aiming towards where the minimap is, you can prompt yourself to walk away instead (depending where on the minimap you click). It's annoying considering how much space that minimap takes up of the screen. Otherwise, combat feels very nice on all characters.

NPCs and Lore

So the lore of the world was easier to get. Ibrahim and Maya's importance were stressed in the (very long) opening cutscene, and the first storyline set showed you about Maya being sort of locked away in mirrors and that she has a lookalike about.

But... I have no idea how any of that ties in to what I as a player am doing. Who are these people telling me to go on missions and why am I listening? What do they have to gain from it? They talk a lot, but I don't feel like much story weight is given through these NPCs. I don't fully get why I'm going where I am and when... I'm hunting Maya mirror fragments? Maybe? But that hunt feels a lot like the Shikon Jewel hunt from Inuyasha in that there's no clear indication of how many fragments there may be, no real indication of who could've gotten them to wreck mayhem with, and they can just throw more and more into the fray as more story justification is needed. Not horrible since MMOs need to be able to expand story at a whim, but just incredibly open-ended.

So I just don't get my overall role in this huge bit of lore regarding Maya and Ibrahim, and I don't understand what this set of NPCs around me are trying to accomplish by using me to help.

That said...

Enemies and Maps

I really enjoy this. This looked like less of a cutesy anime-style game than I normally play and more like it would try to be realistic and maybe edgy. And sure, the first place you're at, you're fighting the mafia and there are goons about. But then you go to the Serengeti and fight Dodo Waiters and Croc Cleaners and overall I found it very cute and creative. The variety of inspired worlds was unique to me (and in particular, I got a kick out of fighting books and quills in the Paragraph Forest). I know these are supposed to be dreamed up by Maya, which is a good excuse to be able to break away from realism and get creative with enemies.

Some mobs can be a bit tough to deal with if your party's not the best, or even if you just got hit with something completely unexpected and new. But the ability to respawn from a checkpoint is really nice, as are the unlimited (time constrained) potions. I hope the checkpoint feature stays in the main game, and hopefully not as a cash option like other MMOs pull with resurrections. Maybe a cash "respawn right now without resetting your progress" could be a good alternative, leaving a free option for players testing the ropes.

Misc. Game Mechanics

I don't have as many complaints in this section, nor is it as thought out. But:
    • Windowed mode doesn't let you click out of it, unless you're in a loading screen. Otherwise, you have to alt-tab. If you're trying to multitask, take a quick break, or if you even have two monitors, it's annoying.
    • The game could really use a party system. Having to completely reform groups after a single mission tacks on a lot of time to grinding sessions as it adds up.
    • Text box limitations combined with multisecond delays between replies is annoying. It's probably intended to be an anti-spam measure in common areas, but if it's possible, could it be removed in private rooms/in active dungeons?
    • Custom keybinding or controller support would be nice to see. I don't use WASD to move around, so instead I find myself having to constantly re-find where my fingers are depending on if I need to potion (Z), use skills (1-4 and R/T), or try to use a sidekick (the F keys, which are further away). I've found myself using the wrong key after trying to move from Z to above, or mistakenly trying to go to the hub (B) when I just want to revive a friend (V).
    • I can't find a quest list anywhere -- and since it doesn't look like you can currently go back and replay past missions (unless invited by a friend at that place), I can't be 100% sure what exactly happened. If I want to know now, I'd have to rely on player-made Wikis and guides. Whether it's the ability to look at all previous missions (and maybe go to them) or just a mission list, knowing things and being able to piece it together would help. Since the game doesn't have a world map in the sense of most MMOs, it's hard to remember where exactly I've gone and what I've done.

I'd imagine HeroWarz would be excellent with controller support. I have a hard time playing for long periods of time without severe pains or cramps. It mainly has to do with how uncomfortable keyboard/mouse is for myself.

Do you think that the way missions are accessible as a whole is acceptable? HeroWarz is perhaps the only game I can think of with a quest line that doesn't allow you to revisit past areas without an invite. I have no personal issues against the way our quest/area progression goes, but there seems to be some complaints about being unable to revisit previously cleared areas.

Comment

Finally gonna get together the rest of my feedback now that CBT is over.

Gameplay

It progressed pretty well. One particular thing I was impressed with was the "stronger versions" of enemies in Player Training. Elsword and GC would have stronger monsters with some added ability like freezing, petrification, super armor, etc. These guys actually had added AI/abilities to make fighting them more of a pain. Twin Black Holes and Magnetism made a fight a lot harder, which was actually nice. And it wasn't constant, so you never knew "okay, now is when I'm going to have to fight someone harder, so let's save MP."

That said... there were some strange glitches I found, mostly around bosses. If your partner(s) lagged out but were stuck in the game, if you both died enough, sometimes the boss would just stand there. I managed to beat Hillaria that way, where she just stood in place and took the beating. No fire dragon shenanigans or anything. The same happened with King Lionel for me, even after my partner left the room. This may be more so resolved if the server's better come open beta, but players with worse connections might be able to get through harder fights this way.

And in Player Training, you can run into difficulties if while you're dead, the portal boss is spawned and your party moves on while leaving you unresurrected. With no one around to resurrect you, the game spawns you from the most recent spawn point and in my case, the 30-second countdown to get into the portal had passed and I got kicked from the game both times it happened. I don't know if anyone successfully managed to die, resurrect, then go through the portal after the 30-second countdown.

Items and UI

So as I leveled up, I kept getting gear that could alter my abilities. It was honestly pretty nice -- I would find skills that fit my playstyle way better (like leaping with Nagne or strengthening my combo). Unfortunately, these were entirely random. That's a positive and a negative, because sometimes I would grow my playstyle around one given way of using a skill, only to have to get rid of it for a way stronger weapon.

Costumes give these bonuses too... and honestly, it'd be nice if you could pick from a pool of bonuses when equipping them (like GC's cash gear, or Elsword's costumes allow). It'd kind of suck to spend a fair amount of money, only to find you're stuck with a series of skills you don't even use.

An alternative would be ways to reset these skills. Ideally non-cash, but with it being a KMMO, that's pushing it.

Additionally, I was confused as to what certain things meant. People keep bringing up depth, but I didn't know how survivability or battle power were calculated. My battle power was kind of high for my level, yet a B with lower battle power outdamaged me at every turn. So some tutorial on what they mean on the website could help.

Missions, Continued

I still didn't really have a clear idea of what my role in the story was, but at least I found out you can replay skits and then there were the Deus reports. A text summary would still be nice, instead of having to listen to two minutes of people chatting.

That said... there were a number of minor issues in their text. Their/they're/there and it's/its errors happened. I did notice one boss, Scorn, was referred to as "Scone" a few times in his mission... and sometimes pronouns were translated weirdly. Messages like the whole "your HP is full and can't take that meat/use that potion" were worded awkwardly.

This is of course a closed beta, and I'm sure timelines were getting thin. But correcting these before live beta would help immensely.

Originally posted by Irru View Post
      I'd imagine HeroWarz would be excellent with controller support. I have a hard time playing for long periods of time without severe pains or cramps. It mainly has to do with how uncomfortable keyboard/mouse is for myself.

Do you think that the way missions are accessible as a whole is acceptable? HeroWarz is perhaps the only game I can think of with a quest line that doesn't allow you to revisit past areas without an invite. I have no personal issues against the way our quest/area progression goes, but there seems to be some complaints about being unable to revisit previously cleared areas.
      I'd love controller support since I can definitely agree about the wrist/hand pain. My work computer is set up ergonomically, but I haven't quite carried that through to home...

I'd personally like to be able to replay missions, if only because just reseeing the mission cutscenes/NPC talk doesn't remind me of who or what I fought, and Player Training had it randomized. Some minibosses I saw in PT, I didn't even remember. It makes it hard to advise newbies or even remember what to do yourself if you easily forget progression like that...

That said, as long as you can get all "unique items" to an area (like mounts) from somewhere after the fact, I don't really have a complaint about it. It makes guide writing harder, and story harder to remember, but it wouldn't be a complete unfair situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Suteki View Post

I still didn't really have a clear idea of what my role in the story was, but at least I found out you can replay skits and then there were the Deus reports. A text summary would still be nice, instead of having to listen to two minutes of people chatting.

This is what really stopped me from continuing to listen/reading and just hitting "Esc" key when they popped up. After all you could see them all again under the Dues report if you really wanted to see them.

Comment

Working...
        X