X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video recording with OBS

Video recording with OBS - Basic tutorial

OBS (Open Broadcaster Software)
    Open Broadcaster Software (also known as OBS) is a free and open source streaming and recording program maintained by the OBS Project.

Open Broadcaster Software is a free and open source software suite for recording and live streaming. Written in C and C++, OBS provides real-time source and device capture, scene composition, encoding, recording and broadcasting. Transmission of data is done via the Real Time Messaging Protocol and can be sent to any RTMP supporting destination (e.g. YouTube) including many presets for streaming websites such as Twitch.tv and DailyMotion.

For video encoding, OBS is capable of using the x264 free software library,[6] Intel Quick Sync Video and Nvidia NVENC to encode video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format. Experimental support for AMD VCE encoding was added in OBS Studio version 0.16.0. Audio can be encoded using either the MP3 or AAC codecs.
    How to:

1.- Download OBS from the official page: https://obsproject.com/

2.-
    Run as administrator and proceed like any other program installation

3.- Depend on your system you can choose between 32 or 64 bits and of course dont forget to
    run as administrator.

Last edited by OnVoK; 12-20-2016, 09:27 AM.

4.- Perfect, now you have OBS running on your computer.

5.- Now let's configure the program. These are the values that im using right now in my laptop (low-med end laptop).

5.1.- General tab
    No changes made here

5.2.- Stream tab
    We are not going to stream, no changes here

Comment

5.3.- Output tab

Recording path: Where are you going to save the videos?.
      Recording format: mp4
      Encoder: x264
      Rate Control: CRF
      CRF:15 (A safe range is between 15 and 20 but you can use 1 where is the highest quaility-high CPU usage and 51 is the lowest quality-low cpu usage). You can change this value to test quality vs performance and find the right balance.
      Keyframe Interval: 0 (Default)
      CPU Usage Preset: VeryFast (As description says higher[faster] the value less CPU usage). You can change this value to test quality vs performance and find the right balance.
      No changes made on Streaming and Audio tab.

5.4.- Audio tab
      No changes made here

5.5.- Video tab
      Base and output: Your screen resolution.
      Downscale Filter: Default (You can select the best option for your PC, trial and error).
      FPS Value: 30 (If you have a good computer you can increase this value).

5.6.- HotKeys tab
      Self explained. In my case im using the same key to activate and deactivate the recording.

Last edited by OnVoK; 12-20-2016, 06:47 AM.

Comment

5.7.- Advanced
        No changes made here
        Now we can exit from settings and return to the main window.

6.- Sound Input/Output configuration.

7.- Sources
        Here you need to tell the program from where is going to take the video, in our case is HeroWarz game, so we are going to do this, with the game open and minimized, right click on Source blank space - Add - Game Capture.
        Also works with Right click Source Blank Space - Add - Window Capture > SourceName (HeroWarz) > Window: HeroWarz

7.1.- We name our new source as HeroWarz then press OK.

Last edited by OnVoK; 12-20-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

7.2.- Properties for ¨HeroWarz¨
          This is the configuration of the source ¨HeroWarz¨.
          We only change:
          -Mode -> Capture specific window
          -Window -> HeroWarz
          A preview of the actual game will be shown. Then press OK.

8.- If you can see something like this then we can go to the game and start the recording.

9.- Recording

10.- We search on the recording path and our file must be there.

If you need any specific material or information about this amazing program there is the official web page with forum, youtube, google etc.

Comment

OnVoK, I did what you said and I still get a black screen. I set it to Game capture, capture specific window, window is specified to Herowarz--black screen. Hence why I use window capture to record with OBS. Any help?

Comment

• OnVoK
              OnVoK commented
              Editing a comment
              Sup Underdogs, that happen to me when i run OBS without Administrator privileges. Try with both 32 or 64 bits, same results?.

• Underdogs
              Underdogs commented
              Editing a comment
              OnVoK. It works now. I had to look up always run administrator privileges. Thanks.

• OnVoK
              OnVoK commented
              Editing a comment
              Underdogs Good to hear that is working now, enjoy.
          Working...
          X